Please contact The Curator's Eye for more information.
|The Viola was built in 1910 by the Arthur D. Story Shipyard at Essex, Massachusetts. Her length was 125', beam 26.1', and draft 12.5'. Tonnage 190.0. She was registered at New Bedford, Massachusetts. She made several voyages out of New Bedford under three different captains, sailed out of New Bedford for the last time on September 5, 1917 and was lost with all hands. The model is constructed via a plank on frame method with the frames being constructed of solid mahogany and matching wood was used for the hull planking with some simulated treenails. The model has individually laid decking with all deck furniture of built-up or solid wood components. It shows all appropriate whaling deck gear and for fitted whaleboat’s mounted outboard on various davits. The tryworks and cooper’s bench is also provided, as well as the lowered cutting-in stage platform (starboard side). The model is rigged as a brigantine with all appropriate standing and running lines. It is mounted onto turned brass keel pedestals set onto an oval mirror recessed into a stained mahogany baseboard with inlay banding. Glazed cover is trimmed in brass and the presentation includes one brass engraved name plaque.|
|Location of Origin: North America|
|Medium/Materials: wood, mahogany, brass|
|Dimensions: Scale: 3/16'' = 1', Size: 34 3/4'' x 13'' x 26 ¼'', Class: A|
|Primary Classification: Antiques, Decorative Arts and Furniture : Models : Boats|
|Secondary Classification: Folk Art and Americana : Antique Ship Models, Nautical, Marine and Coastal Art|
|William E. Hitchcock (1928 - 2006)|
Mr. Hitchcock built ship models for nearly fifty years. He was a prolific builder, and was best known for his stylized commercial or decorative quality models. His refined, museum quality work is evident in his models and dioramas on exhibit at the Peabody Essex Museum, Mystic Seaport Museum, South Street Seaport, the Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum and the Mariners’ Museum, as well as in numerous private and corporate collections throughout the country. His work may also be signed “Arthur Clark,” a pseudonym used to identify his collaborative work with his older son, W. Paul, distinguishing their joint efforts from their individual model work.
|Price:||Item has been sold.|
|Offered By:||Items may still be available - Please contact The Curator's Eye for more information|
121 Mount Vernon, Boston, MA 02108 USA
Item has been sold.
Please login before inquiring about this item, or adding it to your Favorites list. If you do not have a client login, please register.